a classic green bean casserole recipe, reimagined with better-for-you ingredients
There are several dishes that upon just hearing their name conjure images of family around the dinner table with holiday season in full swing: herb stuffing, whole roasted turkey, cranberry sauce, and of course, green bean casserole.
While the magic of Thanksgiving includes guilt-free indulgence in your favorite holidays dishes, it can also be a time of "too full," "too tired," and "must nap now," post-indulgence. But not this year!
Introducing a Green Bean Casserole recipe made with our functional Picnik Creamer, boasting health-supportive ingredients.
green bean casserole recipe
Serves 6 - 8
- 1 cup yellow onion, julienned
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 cup baby portabella mushrooms or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, julienned (stems removed and discarded)
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary, chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable broth
- 2 cups Picnik Creamer
- 6 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces, blanched and drained and dry
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Start by preheating an oven to 375F degrees and preparing an 8x8 baking dish
- Next, working in a medium sauce pot, add avocado oil and place pot over medium high heat.
- Once the oil begins to simmer, add the onions and salt and allow the onions to begin to sweat and soften.
- As the onions begin to caramelize, add the mushrooms and continue to sauté. The mushrooms will begin to release liquid. Be sure to cook the mushrooms until the liquid has evaporated.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, sprinkle in the tapioca starch and stir to combine.
- Next, add the vegetable broth and use it to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add the Picnik Creamer and stir to combine.
- Continue to stir the mixture while bringing it to a gentle simmer.
- Once the mixture is thickened, add the thyme, rosemary, black pepper, and blanched green beans and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared 8x8 baking sheet. Set aside.
- Working in a small bowl, mix together the almond flour and nutritional yeast.
- Sprinkle the almond flour mixture over the top of the green bean mixture.
- Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes to brown the almond flour.