We all love coffee. The smell of freshly roasted beans, the ritual of brewing, that first magical sip...
This is coffee's big glow-up. Butter coffee is a creamy, frothy, vitamin-rich elixir that helps your body hang onto energy longer, burn fat, and stave off hunger. Check out the following video on how to craft the perfect cup of ketogenic coffee.
And hey– we know you're busy. Not everyone has time to break out the measuring spoons and blender when they're late for work in the morning. That's why we made the Picnik Creamer. It's the perfect solution for those moments where you can't live without your keto coffee but simply don't have the time. Just add a 1/4 cup to your preferred brew, and you'll get the healthy fats and proteins found in this recipe!
This drink is composed of:
- Organic coffee: Reduces the risk of toxic exposure since organic coffee beans are free of pesticides and artificial fertilizers.
- Grass-fed butter: Saturated fats play many important roles in the body. They provide integrity to the cell wall, promote the body’s use of essential fatty acids, enhance the immune system, protect the liver and contribute to strong bones. The lungs and kidneys cannot work without saturated fat. Saturated fats do not cause heart disease, in fact, they are the preferred food for the heart. Grass-fed butter is high in omega-3 fatty acids, CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E and vitamin K and it’s much easier to digest than pasteurized milk.
- MCT oil: MCT stands for medium chain triglycerides composed of caprylic and capric fatty acids and occurs naturally in coconut oil and other foods. Their benefit is that they easily convert into energy by the body, rather than stored as fat, and also support efficient absorption of fat-soluble nutrients.
- Cacao butter: Another source of healthy fat, cacao butter is an incredible superfood that has a long list of benefits including reduced inflammation, provides a boost in serotonin and feel good vibes, and is an antioxidant rich food.
- Cacao powder: Full of iron, magnesium, and calcium, high-quality raw, organic cacao powder is a health booster you can include in your daily diet. Just like our friend cacao butter above, it includes serotonin, tryptophan, tyrosine and phenylethylamine for feel good blissful vibes.
- Xylitol: A sugar substitute with a very low glycemic index makes it a favorable choice for diabetics and all those regulating their blood sugar levels. Make sure when purchasing you look for packaging that mentions the product was sustainably harvested from birch trees (not corn) and is GMO-free.
- Egg yolk: A nutritional powerhouse, egg yolks are full of folate (supports brain health), vitamin B12 (benefits mood, energy, and hormonal balance), choline (an essential nutrient for liver and metabolic function) and omega-3 fats (supports cardiovascular health).
- Peppermint oil (optional): Quality is key here because not all essential oils can be ingested. Make sure you look for a therapeutic grade essential oil (such as Young Living or DoTerra). Peppermint oil helps provide a natural boost of energy and supports the digestive process.
- Adaptogenic herbs (optional): We love both Four Sigmatic and Moon Juice adaptogenic herbs but feel free to choose whatever brand you love best. Adaptogenic herbs allow us to "adapt" to our surroundings and come back to a place of equilibrium. For example, if you are sluggish, heavy, and tired, they will give you a pep to get through your day, while if you are wired and strung out, they will provide calming and grounding to come back to your center.
Combined into one magical concoction of goodness, this is the perfect way to begin your way in a ketogenic-friendly way.